Breast Augmentation: A Safe Way to Regain Your Self-Confidence
Breasts are an important part of a woman’s identity. Whether time and gravity are the culprits or childbirth and the feeling of asymmetry, sagging, uneven breasts can take their toll on a woman’s self-esteem and confidence. Restoring your appearance and self-confidence at the same time is possible through breast augmentation.
Why should I consider breast augmentation?
Breast augmentation is not for everyone, but if you find you are self-conscious of your appearance primarily because of the appearance of your breasts, you may want to consider if breast augmentation is right for you. Augmentation will not solve all appearance problems, but it can address the following issues:
- Improve on asymmetry.
- Enhance your natural shape and size.
- Replace lost volume due to child birth or weight loss.
- Create balance with your hips.
Augmentations should be entered with realistic goals in mind, understanding that they will enhance what is there; but as your body continues to age, so will your breasts.
Am I a candidate for breast augmentation?
Women who are 18-years-old and older are candidates for breast augmentation. Dr. Tolson will be sure to discuss with you the advantages to each type of implant. Those women who are not currently pregnant or breastfeeding; are maintaining a healthy, stable weight; and are not smoking are the best candidates for breast augmentation.
What types of implants are available for breast augmentation?
Breast augmentation has come a long way since the 1960s, and many different options are available to those who are considering enhancing their appearance.
- Saline Implants – Saline implants are silicone skins filled with saline and can be used on patients 18-years-old and older. Although leakage is rare, one of the advantages to saline is that if the implants leak, the saline is absorbed into the body without any harm. Doctors are able to individually increase or decrease the amount of saline in the implants upon insertion, allowing for on-the-spot customization.
- Silicone implants – Silicone implants are silicone skins filled with a medical-grade silicone gel. Silicone has the advantage of feeling and looking natural. For women who are thinner, silicone implants are the more ideal choice.
- Cohesive silicone gel implants – Also known as “gummy bear” implants, cohesive silicone gel implants are more form stable than traditional silicone implants, delivering a firmer shape. These come in pre-filled, pre-formed shapes, so customization cannot be done on the table. Like silicone, they will have a more natural feel than saline implants.
What exactly goes into the breast augmentation procedure?
Your initial consultation with Dr. Tolson will be lengthy. He will discuss your medical history, any previous surgeries (cosmetic or otherwise), existing medical conditions, allergies and allergies to medications, current medications, current medical treatments, family history regarding breast cancer, and your current mammography results with you. The quality and quantity of breast tissue will be taken into consideration, along with the skin quality and the placement of the nipple and areola. Although future pregnancies do not disqualify you from the procedure, you want to be sure to let the doctor know if you are planning on getting pregnant in the future so he can take that into consideration.
In order to prepare for the surgery, you may be asked to do the following:
- Stop smoking beforehand.
- Limit your food and alcohol intake the night before.
- Dress comfortably and warmly for the surgery.
- Arrange for someone to drive you home from the procedure.
- If you are currently having regular mammograms you should consider having a post-operative mammogram six months after the procedure to establish a baseline.
- Wear a sports bra for extra support for a few weeks after the procedure.
The procedure itself will be performed in Dr. Tolson’s state-of-the-art, AAAASF-certified operating room in Cumming, Georgia. The surgery takes one to three hours to perform and is done under general anesthesia. Dr. Tolson will make a pocket for the implant either under or in front of the pectoral muscle. The implant will be inserted and the incision, closed. Gauze or a compression bra may be used to aid in the recovery process. It is an outpatient procedure, so you will be able to go home the same day of the surgery.
Depending on your preference, the incision may be placed in one of two locations.
- Inframammary: A 1- to 2-inch incision is placed under the breast, just above the natural crease. The inframammary incision gives wider access for insertion.
- Peri-areolar: The incision is hidden in the dark, lower edge of the areola.
The first week you will have some swelling and discoloration take place. It will begin to dissipate, with most of the swelling and bruising disappearing after the first month. You will be the most uncomfortable for the first 48 hours. The skin may be sensitive to touch and feel tight and itchy. You may have difficulty raising your arms until things fully heal. You will need to be gentle with your breasts for the first month, wearing a good support bra. The final results of the augmentation will manifest themselves after a couple of months.
What can I expect from my breast augmentation?
Dr. Tolson is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons and a member of the American Society for Plastic Surgeons and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. He will make sure that your augmentation leaves you with a natural, fuller look. Any asymmetry within the breasts will be corrected, and there will be an increase in the projection, size, and shape of the breasts. Your implants, if taken care of, may last a lifetime. Sometimes, as you age, deal with changes in hormones and weight, have children, and fight the ever-present pull of gravity, you may need to have an adjustment done to preserve the appearance of your augmentation. You will need to continually monitor the implants, having regular visits with Dr. Tolson.
If the effects of life have caused you to be self-conscious about the appearance of your breasts, contact Dr. Tolson today and schedule an appointment to see what a breast augmentation can do to restore balance and symmetry.
Request a Free Consultation
To receive a consultation, request your appointment online by filling out the form below. A member of our team will be in touch with you within 24 hours. We look forward to hearing from you.
CALL TODAY (770) 888-2999