Mini-Facelift: Keeping the Wisdom Without the Wrinkles
With age comes wisdom; gray hair; a little extra, unwanted weight; and, generally, some wrinkles. For some, these wrinkles and the extra padding in the cheeks and chin make them look distinguished. Others, because of genetic predisposition, may end up with jowls and a double chin, making them feel overly aged and unattractive. Since how you feel about your appearance can affect your self-confidence, a mini-facelift may be all you need to remove the unwanted wrinkles and sags and restore your confidence.
What exactly is a mini-facelift?
A mini face lift is not a standardized procedure. Different plastic surgeons do different procedures and they all may refer to the operation as a mini face lift. Dr. Tolson developed his mini face lift by modifying the full face lift procedure. In the mini face lift parts of the full facelift that do not contribute significantly to the final result but greatly increase the recovery are not preformed. The key elements of the full face lift such as deep layer (SMAS or “muscle”) tightening and skin undermining and tightening are done as a part of Dr. Tolson’s mini face but may not be included in procedures offered by other surgeons. Jowls can be removed, wrinkles smoothed out, and excess tissue taken away. Small incisions are used, so the procedure leaves minimal scarring. Since most people desire the least down time possible to achieve their desired result the mini is gaining ground in popularity.
Are there any additional benefits to a mini-facelift?
If a full facelift isn’t necessary, the mini-facelift comes with a number of extra benefits.
- Outpatient surgery – Since a local anesthesia can be used, Dr. Tolson performs mini-facelifts in his state-of-the-art, AAAASF-certified operating room in the Cumming, Georgia, office. Patients are treated in the comfort of a facility with which they are familiar and under the care of a staff they trust.
- Shorter surgery time – A full facelift takes anywhere from three to six hours, depending on what is being addressed during the operation. A mini-facelift is often completed within two hours, taking far less time.
- Minimal scarring – Making sure incisions are as invisible as possible is the trademark of Dr. Tolson’s practice. Mini-facelifts have the incisions hidden within the natural contours of the hairline and near the ear making it so that only the highly trained will be able to find the scars.
- Works with your body – Mini-facelifts work with your skin’s natural elasticity, smoothing away wrinkles. The unwanted jowls are removed along with any excess skin, giving you a more youthful appearance. The mini works with the natural contours of your face, accentuating what is already there and enhancing your natural looks.
Who should consider a mini-facelift?
A facelift is not for everyone. Due to genetic predispositions, some people are more prone to having excess sags and the formation of jowls as they age. Wrinkles that are deeply etched into the skin can prove to be frustrating. Those who don’t battle with these issues probably don’t need to consider a facelift. The issues that often cause patients to consider the mini-facelift are
- Deep folds or creases etched between the cheeks and lips.
- Excess skin or sagging that changes the definition of the jawline.
- Loose skin in the chin.
- A double chin.
- Jowls created by dropping cheeks.
If you think you’re a candidate for a mini-facelift, what steps do you need to take to move forward?
What’s involved in the mini-facelift process?
The first thing you need to do is look for a plastic surgeon. Check out the doctor’s credentials and qualifications. Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons and a member of the American Society for Plastic Surgeons and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Dr. Tolson has credentials you can trust. Another item to check is how frequently and consistently the physician who does the procedure. Keep in mind that men and women are different; their structures and tissues respond differently, so do your research.
Once you’ve located your physician, you need to schedule a consultation. Your doctor will evaluate you and discuss your options. No two faces are alike, so Dr. Tolson will customize your procedure and treatment to specifically meet your needs, ensuring you get the end product you desire.
On the day of your scheduled procedure, you need to have someone take you to your appointment and pick you up. Plan on staying home and resting for the next few days as your body recovers from the surgery. Take it easy and don’t do anything that’s physically exerting. You will need to schedule a follow-up appointment for the next day with Dr. Tolson so he can make sure that everything looks good and you’re doing well. A follow-up schedule will be set at that time.
How long will it take to recovery from surgery?
A mini-facelift is less extensive than a full facelift, but it’s still surgery and does have a recovery period. You an expect the swelling and side-effects of the surgery to subside within one to two weeks. Your sutures will be removed after about ten days, and you should be able to return to regular work around ten days to two weeks. Moderate exercise can be resumed anywhere from two to four weeks out. Be aware that you may not see the full benefits of the procedure for several months.
Keep in mind that a mini-facelift is a surgery, so side effects should be expected. They will dissipate soon after the procedure but may include the following: bruising, swelling, redness, sensitivity, temporary loss of sensation, discomfort, and feelings of tightness. A good rule to keep in mind when trying to figure out how long your recovery will take is “the more extensive the procedure, the longer the recovery.”
How do I maintain my mini-facelift?
Now that you’ve invested in your mini-facelift, you want to do everything you can to make sure you get the most out of it. If you take care of yourself and your skin, your mini can last anywhere from five to ten years. Here are a few things you can do to make sure your facelift keeps looking good.
- Chemical peels to remove improve sun damaged skin
- Botox treatments to help reduce fine lines and wrinkles
- Dermal filler injections to restore youthful volume to your lips and cheeks.
- Fat transfers to move unwanted fat from other parts of the body to restore lost volume in the face·
- Stop smoking to stop skin damage and increased aging appearance
- Skin care products recommended by your doctor to keep your skin soft and supple
- Healthy lifestyle through diet, exercise, and maintaining a healthy weight
Dr. Tolson will develop an after-surgery care routine to help you get the most out of your mini-facelift. The surgery is just the first step in restoring the look you want and your self-confidence. Make an appointment with Dr. Tolson today and see what he can do to restore youthfulness back into your face while leaving behind the wisdom you’ve worked so hard to gain.
Request a Free Consultation
To receive a consultation, request your appointment online by filling out the form below. A member of our team will be in touch with you within 24 hours. We look forward to hearing from you.
CALL TODAY (770) 888-2999